Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Study God's Word In The Morning


"My practice was this: I devoted the forenoon of every day, except Monday, to the preparation of my discourses. My motto was: 'Study God's Word in the morning, and door-plates in the afternoon.' I found the physical exercise in itself a benefit, and the spiritual benefits were ten-fold more." 


 Recollections of a Long Life  An Autobiography, by Theodore Ledyard Cuyler.


Source

"Washington Irving has somewhere said that it is a happy thing to have been born near some noble mountain or attractive river or lake, which should be a landmark through all the journey of life, and to which we could tether our memory. I have always been thankful that the place of my nativity was the beautiful village of Aurora, on the shores of the Cayuga Lake in Western New York. My great-grandfather, General Benjamin Ledyard, was one of its first settlers, and came there in 1794."

"During the summer of 1840, when I was a college student at Princeton, I went with a friend to the office of the Log Cabin, a Whig campaign newspaper then published in Nassau Street, New York. It was during the famous Tippecanoe campaign, which resulted in the election of General Harrison. I was introduced to a singular looking man in rustic dress. Horace Greeley, for it was he, who sat before me, has been often described as a man with the 'face of an angel, and the walk of a clod-hopper."'

One of the number [of young ladies in church] happened to be a young lady from Ohio who had just graduated from the Granville College, in that State, and had come East to visit her relatives in Philadelphia. The young lady just mentioned was Miss Annie E. Mathiot... .  My courtship was rather "at long range;" for Newark, Ohio, was several hundred miles away, and I have always found that a man who would build up a strong church must be constantly at it, trowel in hand.


No comments: